Saturday, December 20, 2014

Urban Renewal

One important part of having a layout is not being afraid of change.

So...the urban renewal department has decided that a change to my block of stores along Sheridan Road is in order. The department decided, in their wisdom, to put up a new building that will no longer block the view of the TV from the workbench!

I've started on the building:


This will be a two story commercial brick building with two storefronts. Luckily, the Wilson Currency Exchange has signed a new lease so they will be occupying one of the stores. Pop's Gyros and Italian Beef may occupy the other, but the details have yet to be worked out.

The current buildings as they stand:


There really isn't anything "wrong" with these buildings, but there were some of the first structures that were erected on the layout. The building on the right is an Ameritown building and the building on the left is my first attempt at scratch building. 

A couple of issues:

- Realism: One thing always lacking is apparent access to the second floor on a lot of model buildings. How do our model citizens ever access these upper floors? On my new building, there will be a center doorway that can be assumed to lead to the upper floor. The Ameritown building lacks this feature as does my scratch built building.

- Repetition: O Scale buildings are a bit sparse in selection. One feature I'd like to have on my layout is all unique buildings. That means I must scratch build. 

- Skills: I hope my skills have improved in the past few years. Therefore, I think I can make a better scene. Never be afraid to change.

- View: This item makes the least sense, but the Ameritown building does block half of the TV when I sit at my workbench....

I scratch build my buildings to fit a specific spot on the layout and generally don't work off of a plan. I just kind of "wing" it as I go along. I'll post more photos as work progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment